Sunday, June 29, 2008
Some vacation packing tips
Vacation packing tips are useful as a reminder for the well travelled vacation taker but for those just planning to go on a vacation, the following tips are invaluable.
1. Choose your vacation luggage carefully. While togetherness is great, it's advisable for each of you to pack at least one bag of your own for clothes and toiletries.
2. Select vacation bags with wheels. Even garment bags come on rollers these days, so there's no need for anyone to wrench his back before the big night. And you won't feel so guilty including everything you'd like to pack.
3. Pack right for the weather. You wouldn't carry the same things on a safari vacation as you would on a trip to the tropics or Europe.
4. Going someplace where you'll need to dress for dinner? Place sports jackets, pressed shirts, and dresses in a shared garment bag. If possible, keep them separated by dry cleaners' plastic or tissue paper to avoid wrinkling.
4. Roll, rather than fold, vacation garments. It saves packing space and also can cut down on wrinkles.
5. Make sure your name, home, and vacation address are on a luggage tag and somewhere inside the bag you pack as well.
6. Pack your carry-on bag carefully. Pieces do get lost. Travel with one complete change of clothes, vital medicines, and sundries you can't live without in your carry-on.
7. Know what size carry-on your airline permits, and how many pieces are permitted on board.
8. Hate to shlep heavy shoes, books, and/or sporting equipment? Make life easy for yourselves: Send it ahead via any available courier service, and arrange with your hotel to hold it until your arrival.
9. If you're on a budget, pack things like sunscreen, sunglasses, and skin lotion rather than planning to buy them at a vacation resort, where they're often expensive.
10. Make a photocopy of all your credit cards that shows numbers clearly. Pack a copy for yourself and leave the original with a trustworthy friend.
at 6:13 PM